Chicago Vintage Motor Carriage is a full-service vintage car specialist. It hosts the Richard H. Driehaus Collection, which showcases the best of American automotive design and engineering from the Classic and Post-War eras. We are not open to the public, but we do accept applications to tour from groups with a clear affinity for the collection: car clubs, design and engineering societies, educational institutions, etc.
Please take a tour of our site. We hope you enjoy learning about the collection. We are always looking for more information on the current lineup of cars–if you have photos, news articles, features, video, etc… of any of our cars, we’d like to hear from you. Similarly, if you know of cars for sale of the type you see here, please let us know.
Services we offer
– Sales: Outright, Consignment and Brokerage.
– Auction lot inspection and appraisal: we are at most major US collector car auctions throughout the year.
– Periodic Maintenance: if modern cars need regular attention, it follows that vintage cars require as much or more care. We provide that care by applying the maintenance schedule specific to your car and inspecting for and addressing potential problems before they occur.
– Repair: like other machines (possibly more so due to age and use), vintage cars will fail and will need specialist attention. Our certified technicians have over 100 years’ combined experience, with an average of over 30.
– Restoration: whether your car needs a complete, frame-off restoration or a just a new interior, we can help you achieve your goals with the highest level of craftsmanship. This includes body, paint, mechanical, upholstery, trim, and glass.
– Conservation: Once exclusive to the realm of museums, the automotive conservation disciplines are being practiced outside of that realm as a logical consequence of the popularisation of the preservation movement. We are proud to consider ourselves advocates for and practitioners of these disciplines. Please see the preserved cars in the Driehaus Collection, and contact us for past and current client conservation jobs.
– Show preparation, detailing.
– Logistics, transportation, storage.
– Studio photography: whether you are consigning your car to us, sending it to auction, or just want quality images of your pride and joy, your car will look its best in our state-of-the-art photography studio, featuring a 10-foot by 30-foot Chimera light bank and enough Wattage to light up downtown Chicago.
– Cars for display at your event or as photo/film props (sorry, no livery service).
Meet our Team!
Stephen Murphy is our Head Curator and Restoration Specialist. At a young age, Stephen taught himself to build model airplanes and motorcycle repair in between the thrills of sailing, surfing, and skateboarding in his native Basque Country. He received formal technical training in high school and graduated from King’s College London with a degree in Spanish with Applied Computing. After following his wife Liz stateside and choosing auto restoration as a career path, he obtained a diploma in Automotive Collision Repair from Kirkwood Community College, IA, eventually settling in Chicago under the mentorship of respected restorer George Kovanda, of Chicago Restorations fame. Stephen is an ASE™ certified automotive repair technician and ASE™ master collision repair technician. Stephen joined Chicago Vintage Motor Carriage in 2007.
Mark Hooper is our Master Mechanic- Mark is an ASE Certified Master Mechanic, in addition to being a Porsche Certified Technician, Bosch Certified Technician, Countless hours of Delco training, and Raybestos advanced abs certified. Mark is an animal lover and lives with his Wife, 2 dogs and 3 cats.
John McPartlin is our head Machinist/Mechanic and has over 25 years of experience working on race motors. John got his start working for Young’s Auto supply where he learned how to be a Journeyman Machinist. He then worked as an engine builder and was the Cylinder head and Engine Dyno specialist for Prototype Engineering who built race car motors for NASCAR, IMSA, and SCCA GT1 cars. John then left prototype in 1986 to work for Al Kulwicki at NASCAR until his death in 1993. John is a retired Drag and Stock Car racer and is an avid boater.
Catherine Litaker is our Office Administrator. She grew up going to old car shows with her family in Southern California and now runs the CVMC office. Highly professional, she will make sure a customer’s last minute request is fulfilled, an urgent parts order from the technical staff is placed in time, and she does it all with charm. If that were not enough, she is also a professional Harpist and performs regularly in the Chicago area and throughout the world.
Harold Santamaría is a Master A.S.E. certified/L1 Automotive Technician and a Professor of Automotive Technology at Harry S. Truman College. He serves as a Visiting Assistant Professor for Southern Illinois University Carbondale in the Extended Campus Automotive Technology Program. Harold is an alumnus of Triton College, DePaul University and the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and holds degrees in Automotive Technology, Career and Technical Education, and Human Resource Education: Community College Teaching and Learning. Harold participates on numerous educational Advisory Boards throughout the Chicagoland area, and is an Evaluation Team Leader for the National Automotive Technician’s Education Foundation (N.A.T.E.F.). Harold also serves as a Eucharistic Minister at his home parish, St. Cornelius Church and is currently studying to become a Deacon.
Jorge Acosta is a student at Harry S Truman College working towards his Bachelor’s Degree in Automotive Technology. Jorge has a passion for car restoration and preservation and hopes to turn his internship here at CVMC into a career as an Automotive Restoration Specialist.
Jesus Santoyo is a student at Harry S Truman College working towards his Bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology. He wants to be a master technician and eventually be able to open his own shop. Jesus also has a great hook in his bowling technique.
If what you are looking for is not here, please contact us, we may still be able to help.